Brutal takedown of the Berlin iteration in Libeskind’s Jewish Museum franchise. A pressing concern of many young architects fresh from school looking for their first job is getting pigeon-holed into doing work they dislike like for the rest of their career due to early choices. But, perhaps even more tragic is the architect who gets to do exactly the sort of work they want, only to suffer the same fate of limited options and caricatured, intellectually lazy designs.
- suburban futures
- pilot projects
- territorial reclamation
- landscape information modeling
- mesosphere excavations
- environments of extraction
- glitches, flash crashes, and very bad futurists
- north coast design competition
- sediment and wind
- land-making machines
- the collision of geologic time and infrastructural control
- hyper-reality: a new vision of the future
- dredgefest louisiana
- Julian Raxworthy: Interesting discussion Rob, and great to be referred to and introduced to your blog. Reading this...
- Thoughts on Everything under the Sun or I am a guilty Secularist: 30;] h/t m.ammoth.us […]
- Anchorite: If NM fails to meet its water obligations to TX they don’t pay a simple penalty, a federal judge...
- Jack Doil: The governor did not make that decision, it was because Texas and Mexico filed lawsuits for their water.
- Zen: Bullshit, The reason the butte is so low is because suddenly the New Mexico Governor decided it would honor a...
- Jack Doil: As a fishing guide on this lake, I am living this drought every day. We will make it and the lake will...
- Neil (@fitnr): Nice to see Lydia’s work here! She was my student long ago in the GSD Career Discovery program.
- Annick Labeca: A very good post that raises lots of questions. Are architects simply futurists? Your post leads me to...
- Dams in Southwestern US: in use today. This line is not arbitrary, rather it actually explains why Powell saw the...
- faslanyc: Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I think she is right on- the who and the what for? are essential...
tagsanthropocene architectural-criticism architecture army-corps-of-engineers atchafalaya china climate-change competitions dredge ecological-urbanism-at-gsd economics flood-control geology glacier-island-storm hacking-infrastructure hydrology infrastructural-vernacular infrastructure internet iphone kazys-varnelis landscape landscape-architecture landscape-futures landscape-infrastructures landscape-urbanism los angeles louisiana mississippi-river networked-urbanism new-urbanism new york city photography post-industrial post-natural-ecologies re-industrial reading-the-infrastructural-city readings soft-systems suburbia technology transportation urbanism video-games waste