CLUI’s spring Lay of the Land surveys the American landscape of ship breaking (which is largely fed by the Congressionally-mandated dismantling of the ghost fleets), develops a linkage between Kodak Park (“said to be the largest industrial complex in the northeast”) and Kodachrome Park (which “remains one of the few, if not the only, State Parks named after a trademarked product”), and catalogs “the geometric terrain of helipads” in Los Angeles, among other (terrific) things.
- on landscape science
- sea ice small multiples
- the dredge underground
- the five thousand pound life: land
- suburban futures
- pilot projects
- territorial reclamation
- landscape information modeling
- mesosphere excavations
- environments of extraction
- glitches, flash crashes, and very bad futurists
- north coast design competition
- sediment and wind
- Alan Wiig: For whatever reason, when reading this commentary I thought of John McPhee’s book The Pine Barrens,...
- Julian Raxworthy: Interesting discussion Rob, and great to be referred to and introduced to your blog. Reading this...
- Thoughts on Everything under the Sun or I am a guilty Secularist: 30;] h/t m.ammoth.us […]
- Anchorite: If NM fails to meet its water obligations to TX they don’t pay a simple penalty, a federal judge...
- Jack Doil: The governor did not make that decision, it was because Texas and Mexico filed lawsuits for their water.
- Zen: Bullshit, The reason the butte is so low is because suddenly the New Mexico Governor decided it would honor a...
- Jack Doil: As a fishing guide on this lake, I am living this drought every day. We will make it and the lake will...
- Neil (@fitnr): Nice to see Lydia’s work here! She was my student long ago in the GSD Career Discovery program.
- Annick Labeca: A very good post that raises lots of questions. Are architects simply futurists? Your post leads me to...
- Dams in Southwestern US: in use today. This line is not arbitrary, rather it actually explains why Powell saw the...
tagsanthropocene architectural-criticism architecture army-corps-of-engineers atchafalaya china climate-change competitions dredge dredge-research-collaborative ecological-urbanism-at-gsd economics flood-control geology glacier-island-storm hacking-infrastructure hydrology infrastructural-vernacular infrastructure internet iphone kazys-varnelis landscape landscape-architecture landscape-futures landscape-infrastructures landscape-urbanism los angeles louisiana mississippi-river networked-urbanism new-urbanism new york city photography post-industrial re-industrial reading-the-infrastructural-city readings soft-systems suburbia technology transportation urbanism video-games waste